Windsornianos

¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.
Windsornianos

windsor iguala

THE KING AGAINST THE PARLIMENT: CHARLES THE FIRST

Bryanjrf
    Bryanjrf
    Admin

THE KING AGAINST THE PARLIMENT: CHARLES THE FIRST Empty THE KING AGAINST THE PARLIMENT: CHARLES THE FIRST

Mensaje  Bryanjrf Dom Mar 27, 2011 1:22 pm

5TH TEAM

TEAM MEMBERS: BRYAN, LAURA & KRYSTELL

THE KING AGAINST THE PARLIMENT

KING CHARLES THE FIRST (1600-1649)

The second son of James VI of Scotland and Anne of Denmark, Charles was born at Fife in Scotland on 19 November 1600
    Charles suffered from weak ankle joints
    He was also slow in learning to speak
    He was a serious student who excelled at languages, rhetoric and divinity.

Charles had an elder brother: Prince Henry who died when Charles was 12 years old.
    Henry's death made Charles heir to the throne of the Three Kingdoms: England, Scotland and Ireland.
    he was instructed by King James in every aspect of ruling a kingdom. With a profound belief that Kings were appointed by God to rule by Divine Right, Charles succeeded as the second Stuart King in 1625.
    English Civil War (1629-1651)
    The English Civil War, also known as the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, took place in the reign of Charles I, the second 'British' Stuart monarch. This ended in victory for the Parliamentarians under Oliver Cromwell, when Charles I was executed in 1649.
    CAUSES
    1629 Charles I dissolves Parliament determined to govern without one.
    1633 Archbishop Laud translated to be Archbishop of Canterbury
    1634-40 Ship Money Case
    1637 Hampden's case supports Charles I's claim to collect Ship money

1637-40 Breakdown of Charles's government of Scotland and two attempts to impose his will by force
    1640 Long Parliament summoned
    1641 Remodeling of the government in England and Scotland; abolition of conciliar courts.
    1642 King Charles raised standard at Nottingham. The Battle of Edgehill (Indecisive).
    1644 Battle of Marston Moor (Parliamentary Victory)

1645 Battle of Naseby (Parliamentary Victory)
    1646 Charles I surrendered to Scottish Army.
    1648 Royalist and Presbyterian rising suppressed by Cromwell and New Model Army.
    1649 Charles I beheaded.

1649-50 Cromwell Invaded Ireland
    1650 Cromwell defeated Royalists under "King Charles II" at Dunbar, Scotland.
    1651 Battle of Worcester, the last battle of the Civil War, Parliamentary Victory.

The King's execution shocked the whole of Europe. He was buried on 9 February at Windsor rather than at Westminster Abbey to avoid the possibility of public disorder at his funeral. Charles' personal dignity during his trial and execution had won him much sympathy. The ideal of Charles the Martyr helped to sustain the Royalist cause throughout the Commonwealth and Protectorate years. After the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, it was sanctified in the Anglican Church. To this day, wreaths of remembrance are laid on the anniversary of King Charles' death at his statue, which faces down Whitehall to the site of his beheading.

Fecha y hora actual: Vie Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am